Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 22: Impressing myself!

So today was one of the few occasions where I've been forced to speak Spanish, and it went really well! I was invited by a friend from Wing Chun to her grandmother's 75th birthday out in the countryside. The whole family were there, and very few of them spoke English, and I was the only 'outsider' so I had to be polite, and interesting, and knowledgeable and all in Spanish. There were a few moments where I was nodding and smiling and uh-huhing without having a clue what that person was saying to me, but for the most part, I understood when I was asked a questions and was able to talk a little bit about myself, Ireland, and what I thought about Argentina. We had a huge feast of empanadas and choripan (like a hot-dog, but with real sausage) and then spent the rest of the afternoon sprawled out on blankets in the sun, with a Velez Sarsfield football match on the background. It was so nice to be doing something so un-touristy, and I felt a bit homesick for my big family back in Ireland. I feel really lucky both to have had that experience and to have enough Spanish to enjoy it.

I'm already starting to panic about what I'm going to do when the Bueno, entonces... Learn Spanish series is over... Only eight lessons to go! Aw, I'm gonna miss these guys

No comments:

Post a Comment