Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 21: Home sweet home

Ok, so I know I'm supposed to be practicing my Spanish, but I ended up in Chinatown this morning, speaking Mandarin (like, once!) and eating noodle soup for breakfast. I love BA, it's got everything! But seriously, I thought I was confused before – I'm two steps back now! I really think the brain can only process like one and a half languages at a time! Next time, I'll have to go with a Spanish person, and speak to them as we stroll the isles picking up ingredients for caramelised beef and spring rolls (I'll make them tonight and post a picture!)

Back to the progress in Castellano, today's lesson was incredibly useful for anyone who wants to buy or rent an apartment here. Luckily I took the easy way out, and I'm just sub-letting with English-speaking housemates, but it seems like renting is pretty complicated in BA, so all the vocab in today's lesson is invaluable. For the rest of us, I was glad to learn words I find myself searching for all the time to describe things. Now that I've learned some of them, I feel like my Spanish is a jigsaw, and the pieces are finally falling into place.

I find that taxis are the best place to practice. Once you start a conversation with the driver (those guys will talk about anything), you have nowhere to go, and most of them insist on speaking Spanish, and will help me with my pronunciation. Getting me to where I'm going is just a bonus now!

No comments:

Post a Comment