Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 30: A cliffhanger!!

SPOILER ALERT: Ok, so if you're planning on buying the Bueno, entonces... Learn Spanish series or are working your way through it you should probably skip this post.

Was pleasantly surprised by the unexpected ending to the dramatic love story between Jimena, the hot but uptight Portena teacher and David, the feckless, funny young Brit who's been trying it on for five weeks. Turns out it was Jimena who tried all through this class to close the deal (what's 'rebound guy' in Spanish?!) but at the last minute her plan was foiled (or so it seems) by another woman. Pathetically, it makes me really want to get a hold of level 2 - which isn't even made yet!! Oh the suspense...

Back in my real life, I'm delighted by the progress I've made, but I have to admit, I've been studying my notes after each class and that's made a big difference. I've organised for a private teacher three times a week to pick up from here, and It's great to start with a good solid base already. I have a feeling he won't be as entertaining as the odd couple I've shared the past month with, but hopefully I'll keep moving at a good pace. Now that I need it more for work and other classes, I have a reason to do my homework! Plus, well, there may be a little love story in the air for me too, with one of the guys from kung fu. We're going on a date at he end of the week, and he speaks very little English, but he seems to be the only guy in the city with enough sense to play it cool, so I'm interested already! Time to go back through all the going out and small-talk vocab I've been learning - I guess you'll have to be in suspense about what happens, much like the end of this series!!

But if I had to do a little summing-up, it would be this: Buenos Aires is an amazing city, with something for everyone. And although the people (contrary to their reputation) are great, and will speak English to you if they possibly can, having some kind of Spanish ability is so incredibly valuable if you want to get the most out of this place. Indeed, any Spanish-speaking country.

I'll be honest, there were certain moments where this Spanish program moved too slow, or too fast, or the plot got in the way, or the characters were annoying. But at the end of the day, Bueno entonces is the ONLY Spanish learning system that has kept me interested and entertained enough to stick with it. It's completely different from anything else out there, and made me laugh more than most 'hilarious' films and TV shows I've seen. The combination of two likable people, funny animation, colour-coding, spanish immersion, and the whiteboard system means that I have learned more Spanish than I ever expected, and all from sitting in bed with a cup of tea for a half hour every morning! So if you're considering it, and want to learn Spanish with out being completely bored and frustrated, I'd say buy Bueno, entonces. Really, give it a try - you have nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Good luck, hasta luego!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment