Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 29: Champagne (and Irish tea) flowing

Well, the corks were popped in the Bueno, entonces offices today (ok, not today, but today on the video!) as we sat in the cabina acoustica one last time. Luckily, the party atmosphere didn't distract Jimena one bit and we still had a good class packed with useful stuff. Not just Castellano, but a cute little section on the geography of Argentina and a great bit about 'Nahuelito', their version of The Loch Ness monster! I love it when they add stuff like that - because what's the use in being here, totally fluent in Spanish, if you don't know anything about the history or geography or culture? Hopefully if there's a second level we'll get more on Argentina's battles, the financial crisis of 2001, the history of tango etc. We should have most of the vocab by then!

I have to admit, I'm going to miss the bumbling old 'MC Grammar' too. Here's a little pic in tribute to him, and a video in remembrance below. Yes, his jokes were really bad, and yes, he did desert us a bit near the end (we didn't need him as much), but he was like the embarrassing old uncle at a party - kept popping up with dodgy innuendo when you least expected it! Plus, he said it was ok to be completely lost, so I'll always love him for that.

As for me, I'm still loving BA, but a bit homesick because I got a big care package from my family today! Highlights included tea (because the common black tea here is like 'dishwater' as we say in Ireland), organic chocolate (cue two extra sessions with personal trainer), pajamas and fluffy socks (even though it's getting HOT here now!) and books and magazines (for when I'm not, ahem, reading Borges int he original language). So now I've decided, it's not that I want to go home, but to fly the whole family out here instead. Better send them a copy of Bueno, entonces... Learn Spanish to get ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment