Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 19: The most confusing thing about Spanish

So we've finally got around to tackling Ser and Estar. It had to rear it's ugly head at some point.

For those of you lucky enough to not know what I'm talking about, this post refers to the fact that Spanish has two different ways of saying 'to be'. I'm totally with David on this point, it's ridiculous, impossible to learn, and there seems to be no rules whatsoever to help guide us.

But in today's lesson we made a start, and I think I'm kind of a bit clear, or getting there, on some of the many different situations which take Ser and Estar. Apparently one is for characteristics and one for location. And one depends on temporary objects and one on permanent states. And one is for events and one is for people, or emotions, or maybe just for cities. Ok, so I have no idea. But today at least I learned a few examples of phrases and sentences which use both, and so I'm hoping that if I learn enough of these, then a pattern will start to appear. I think that's what Jimena is hoping too, because David was as lost as I am, but more vocal about it!

I guess if you have to tackle Spanish grammar though, this is the least painful way to go about it. Yaay Bueno, entonces...; My brain is fried but I'm still smiling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment